It was rightly proclaimed by Hippocrates the father of natural medicine that
“Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food.”
Treatment for most of the common diseases is found right there in the kitchen at home. One is his own physician and nature provides remedies for medication for minor illnesses that are very economic and safe.
The most commonly used vegetables, herbs and spices which are readily available at Home and are very useful remedies for a number of common ailments such as cold, cough, headache, pain, inflammation and minor injuries etc.
Let us have a look at a few examples of readily available remedies at home:
1. Haldi (Curcuma longa):
Most essential spice used not only for coloring and for flavor but also used for cold, cough and for inflammation. Curcumin Its active component is used in the treatment of cancer.
Rai being good source of Selenium(a trace metal) helps reduce inflammation in the arthritic pain when applied in paste form to the affected area. It also reduces the asthmatic attacks.
3. Black pepper (Piper nigrum): It helps to and helps to improve blood circulation. Being very rich in iron and fiber it stimulate the digestion Due to its aromatic and medicinal properties it is used as home remedy for various problems such as in prevention of tooth decay, constipation, indigestion, dry cough, sore throat and urinary disorders. It is also used in preparation of decoction for common cold. The active constituent piperine is an excellent bioenhancer.
4. Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum): The sweet and spicy tasting dalchini is loved by everyone. The active principles in cinnamon hydroxychalcone and proanthocyanidin which enhance the effect of insulin by acting on the insulin receptors and promoting glucose uptake thus is useful in Type II diabetes. It controls the cholesterol and in turn reduces the risk from the cardiovascular problems. Cinnamaldehyde is another constituent useful in women’s problems.
5. Curry patta (Murraya koenigii): The most commonly used Curry patta for seasoning and flavoring in the Indian kitchens has a very useful hidden property which many people are unaware of. Curry patta is nephroprotective (protects kidney) and anti-hypoglycemic (controls sugar level) in blood.
6. Honey: Honey is considered to be all- around remedies. Honey is rich in vitamin B group and it is energy providing honey is very useful when taken orally it is throat soothing and in would healing, it is digestive and it is helps in healing of ulcers.
7. Tulasi (Ocimum sanctum): Leaves of this holy plant is most commonly used in cold, cough, ingestion, acts as antacid used as mouth freshener and in mood elevation.
There many other ingredients present in your kitchen/ home which can be used in common ailments. The ingredients are;
a. Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi): Digestive and antispasmodic
b. Methi leaves and seeds (Trigonella Foenum-graecum): Anti diabetic, galactagogue (improving lactation) and weight control.
c. Hing/Asfoetida (Ferula foetida): Antispasmodic and flatulent
d. Chilli (Capsicum frutescens and C. annuum) Good source of vitamin C. It is digestive and used as counter irritant inn pain killing formulations.e.g. inflammation and arthritis.
e. Jeera (Cuminum cyminum): Good source of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, selenium, zinc and magnesium. Seeds are digestive and carminative.
Likewise we have a number of useful home/ kitchen remedies very helpful in both precaution and cure of various common ailments.
It is good to know the pharmacologically active components of herbals to understand their usefulness
Please consult your health care provider before using these herbs as medicines.